· Pie dish (flan ring)
· Sharp knife and chopping board
· Rolling pin
· Small pot and lid
· Measuring cups/spoons
· Large Mixing bowl
· Sweet pastry, 1 sheet or half a block
· Pumpkin, 1/8 (peeled, boiled and dried)
· Eggs, 2, beaten
· Condensed milk, 2 Tbspn (or 1 heaped Tbspn)
· Castor sugar, ¼ cup
· Cinnamon, ½ tsp
· Ginger, ¼ tsp
· Cloves, pinch
1. Cut out the base of the pie from the pastry, mold into shape in the pie dish and then use the excess pastry for the sides. Chill in the fridge.
2. Peel the pumpkin with the knife, cut into cubes and boil in 1 cup of water until soft (about 10 minutes).
3. Drain the pumpkin through the sieve, dry on paper towels then puree with whisk or potato masher in a mixing bowl. Allow to cool down a bit.
4. Mix the egg, condensed milk, sugar and spices into the pumpkin puree.
5. Pour into the pastry base and bake at 1800C for 30 minutes. A knife should come out clean.
6. Cool on wire rack.