You end up with a beautiful flavoursome rice dish.
Remember that the pot that is in the oven gets incredibly hot so don't touch the handle when it comes out of the oven!
· Small pot (metal handle)
· Chopping board and sharp knife
· Wooden spoon
· Measuring cup/spoons
· Baking paper (in a circle to make a “cartouche” inside the pot)
· Butter, 50g, cut in half (use one at the start and one at the end)
· Onion, ½, diced finely
· Rice, long grain, 1 cup
· Chicken stock (1 cube Oxo to 2 cups of hot water)
· Pinch of Salt and small pinch of pepper
· Frozen mixed vegetable, ½ cup
· Parsley, 1 sprig, chopped finely
· Cooked meat (Chicken, bacon, ham, salami etc)
Oven on to 2300C (hot).
1. Gently fry the onion in half the butter for 2 minutes.
2. Wash the rice under cold water in a sieve and allow to drain.
3. Add the rice and gently fry for 2 minutes.
4. Mix the stock powder into the hot water and add to the pot with the seasoning. Add mixed veges.
5. Bring to the boil (turn up the heat to high).
6. Place the buttered cartouche over the rice and place into the oven for 20 minutes.
7. Very carefully take the pot out of the oven and place on a wooden board. Remove the cartouche and fold in chopped parsley, cooked chicken and the rest of the butter.
8. Serve immediately.