Japanese foods – Rice and fish/shellfish, Boiling the rice, Cooling and seasoning the rice, Preparing the filling, Rolling the Nori, Slicing and presenting (soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger).
Sharp knife and chopping board
Small pot and lid
Small fry pan
Sieve and whisk
Ramekin for water and for dipping
Ingredients (per pair)
2 sheets of Nori
½ cup sushi rice
1 cup cold water
2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar or sushi seasoning
1 Carrot or cucumber stick
1 spring onion stick
1 Egg per table (beaten and fried)
1 Tbsp tinned tuna or salmon
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Small dab of Wasabi
4 slices of pickled ginger
1. Wash the rice through a sieve.
2. Place the rice in a pot and cover with water (1 cup). Put a lid on.
3. Bring to boil for 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes on a low heat. Keep lid on.
5. Take pot off the heat and remove lid.
6. Spread rice onto a tray.
7. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture and mix through. Allow to cool.
8. Prepare the Filling and Dipping.
9. Place Nori on the bamboo rolling mat, rough side up.
10. Using wet fingers, spread the rice over the Nori leaving a 2-3 cm space at the top.
11. Arrange the fillings 3-4 cm from the nearest edge. Make into a clean line across the rice.
12. Using the bamboo mat, roll the Nori over the top and make a cylinder of the Nori with the rice and filling in the middle.
13. Use water to stick down the edge of the Nori.
14. Roll together inside the rolling mat.
15. Carefully slice using a wet knife into 2cm sections.
16. Serve with wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger.