Warning: Sugar and Cocoa alert.
Children may go crazy after eating this dish.
This is a good winter pudding. But only for special occasions. It contain lots of sugar and cocoa which may trigger hyperactivity in some people.
I have used orange as garnish. The citrus cuts through the sweet sticky chocolate.
Be aware that the pudding may bubble over in the oven, creating a mess. Place the oven dish on a tray to stop this.
Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding.
Ingredients: (per pair)
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
75g butter (melted)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and lightly grease a 3 cup capacity oven proof dish.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cocoa and stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the milk, vanilla and butter and mix quickly to form a stiff mixture.
- Spread the batter into the prepared oven dish.
- Mix the boiling water, sugar and cocoa together and pour over the back of a spoon, evenly over the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the sponge is cooked. Place a tray under the oven dish to stop spillages.
- Remove from oven and let cool down for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out with a spoon and serve on a plate.
- Garnish with orange zest and slices.