If your sauce does reduce to nothing, you could add more beef stock and red wine to bring it back. The cornflour will thicken the sauce at the end.
Remember to put holes in your pastry lid to allow the steam to escape and to brush with milk or egg wash to give the golden brown colour.
Steak and Mushroom pie.
· Stewing beef (chuck), 1 ramekin, cut into 2cm dice
· Oil for frying
· Onion, ½ , finely diced
· Garlic, 1 clove crushed
· Button mushrooms, 4-6, quartered
· Beef stock, ¼ cup
· Red wine, ¼ cup
· Parsley, 1 tsp, chopped
· Thyme, ½ tsp
· Tomato sauce, 1 tsp
· Puff pastry, 2 sheets
· Cornflour, 1 Tbsp
· Milk to glaze
· Tin foil pie dish
1. Heat up the oil in the fry pan (medium high) and brown the meat.
2. Remove from the heat and drain.
3. Fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft.
4. Return meat to pan.
5. Add the stock, wine, tomato sauce, seasoning and herbs.
6. Bring to boil and then simmer until the meat is tender (20-30 min).
7. Mix the corn flour with a little cold water and add to meat. Bring to boil to thicken. Allow to cool.
8. Line a pie dish with the pastry.
9. Fill with the meat mixture.
10. Cover with a pastry lid and seal the edges. Make a slit/holes in the top.
11. Brush with milk/egg wash and bake at 2000C for 30 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before eating.