I have used the dried small lasagna for this recipe which needs to be cooked to "al dente" before being added to the meat and sauce.
To make the cheese sauce, first make a ROUX (butter, flour and milk) which turns into a white sauce. By adding the cheese, you make a cheese sauce.
Layer your pasta with the meat and cheese sauce in an oven dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and then bake/grill to finish.
Serve with a salad to balance the meal. Lasagna does have a lot of fat in it, that is why it tastes so good.
· Pot and lid
· Sharp knife and chopping board
· Small fry pan
· Measuring cups/spoons
· Oven dish
· Mixing bowl
· Lasagna pasta, 2 cup
· Salt, a pinch
· Beef mince, 1 ramekin
· Onion, ½ sliced
· Garlic, ¼-1/2 tsp
· Tomato puree, 2 tsp in ½ cup water
· Oil, a small squirt
· Seasonings (salt/pepper)
· Butter, 25g
· Flour, 2 Tbsp
· Milk. 1 cup
· Cheese, 3 Tbsp
· Herbs, pinch
· Breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup
1. Preheat oven to 1750C.
2. Bring a pot ¾ full of water to the boil. Lid on.
3. Add a pinch of salt.
4. Add the pasta, stir and bring back to the boil.
5. Boil, uncovered for 15 minutes or until pasta “al dente”. Drain through sieve and leave in mixing bowl.
6. Heat up the fry pan with a little oil (medium heat).
7. Add the onion and fry until soft.
8. Add the mince, garlic and seasonings and cook through (5-10 minutes). Add tomato puree with water. Leave to reduce on low heat.
9. Place the butter in the pot and melt.
10. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes until frothy.
11. Take off the heat and add the milk, stirring all the time. Return to heat.
12. When the sauce is thick, add the cheese and herbs. Mix through and remove from the heat.
13. Layer the pasta, meat and sauce in the oven dish.
14. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and bake for 15 minutes.