What kid doesn't like cheesy bacon and pasta with a hint of mustard? Very few.
Make sure you have lots of boiling salted water before you add your pasta, or the mafia may get you.
Learning to make a white sauce (roux) is essential for making the cheese sauce.
Double the recipe if you make this at home for your family.
Macaroni (Maccheroni) Cheese
Small fry pan
Ingredients (per pair)
Maccheroni pasta, 1 cup
Onion,1/2, finely diced
Flour, 2 Tbsp
Bacon, 3 rashers, diced
Mustard powder, 1/4 tsp
Milk, 1 cup
Cheese, tasty, 1/4 cup (1 ramekin)
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
Parsley, 1 tsp, finely chopped
1. Fill the pot ¾ full of hot water and bring to the boil (high heat)
2. Add a pinch of salt.
3. Add the pasta when the water is rapidly boiling. Stir to stop the pasta sticking.
4. Boil until the pasta is “al dente” (soft but firm). Taste to check.
5. Drain through sieve and place in large bowl
6. Heat up the fry pan (moderate heat).
7. Add the butter and melt.
8. Add the diced onion and bacon and cook until onion goes clear and soft.
9. Add the flour and stir in until it goes frothy (making a roux)
10. Add mustard powder.
11. Take the pan off the heat and add the milk gradually, a bit at a time. Stir constantly.
12. Place back on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. The sauce should thicken up.
13. Add the cheese and stir through.
14. Take of the heat and season with salt and pepper. Add chopped parsley.
15. Pour the sauce into the bowl with the pasta and mix through.
16. Serve and eat