· Onions, sliced, 1/2
· Garlic (optional), 1 clove
· Oil for frying
· Curry powder, 1-2 tsp
· Lamb, trimmed off the bone and cut into small pieces
· Apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp
· Tomato (2 tsp puree in 1 cup water)
· Garam Masala (finishing spice), 1 tsp
· Seasoning (salt/pepper/chilli if required)
· Rice, long grain, 1 cup, washed.
1. Fry the onions in a little oil until soft. Medium heat
2. Add the curry powder (to your taste) and garlic (optional) to the onions and mix. The onions are the flavour holder.
3. Add the lamb pieces, mix into the onions and brown off.
4. Add the tomato puree mixed in the water to cover the lamb.
5. Add the vinegar (1 tsp). This adds acidity and helps break down the muscle tissue.
6. Bring to the boil and then simmer for half an hour at least.
7. Wash the rice through a sieve.
8. Add 2 cups of hot water to a pot with a good pinch of salt then add the rice.
9. Bring to the boil and then simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Keep the lid on. When the rice is cooked, drain and serve.
10. When the curry is done, add the garam masala, season and serve.