Making Butter and Buttermilk from cream
Pour 1 cup of cream into a yoghurt container, secure the lid well and shake vigorously for 15 minutes.
The cream will whip then begin to clot and finally forming butter.
Once the butter has become a big lump, unscrew the lid and carefully collect the buttermilk. The butter can placed in the fridge or freezer to keep.
American Buttermilk Pancakes (Flapjacks)
Makes 10-12 flapjacks.
· Flour, 1 cup
· Salt, ½ tsp
· Baking powder, 1tsp
· Baking soda, 1 tsp
· Buttermilk, 100ml
· Milk, 225ml
· Egg, 1
1. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
2. Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk.
3. Add the fresh milk and egg to the buttermilk mixture and beat well.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquid.
5. Whisk in the dry ingredients, slowly at first.
6. Heat and grease up a pan.
7. Ladle enough mixture in to make a 12cm diameter pancake.
8. Wait for the bubbles and carefully flip over. The second side does not take very long to cook.
9. Serve with bacon, banana and golden/maple syrup.