The recipe does not contain any eggs or milk so this stops them rotting. It is a simple recipe and produces biscuits which are nutritious and full of energy.
Make sure that when you roll the balls, the biscuit mix does not stick to your hands. Add more flour if it does. Or hot water if it is too dry.
INGREDIENTS: per pair
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
75ml boiling water
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC and line baking tray with paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
3. In a small saucepan over a medium heat, combine the butter and golden syrup until the butter has melted.
4. In a small jug, combine the boiling water and bicarbonate of soda.
5. Add the baking soda and water mixture with the melted butter and golden syrup.
6. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
7. Roll the mixture in your hands to make balls then flatten onto the greased baking tray, leaving room for them to spread.
8. Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool and harden.