Blind baking is half baking the pastry before adding the filling. Remember to dock and to weigh the pastry down to stop it rising.
The egg filling should solidify (be hard) when it is cooked. Wobble the tin to check if it is cooked.
Small fry pan
Short pastry, 1 sheet
Ham (and/or spinach/mixed vege), chopped, 1 slice
Onion, ½, finely diced and fried
Oil for frying
Cheese, mild, 1 Tbsp
Egg, 3-4, whisked up
Cream, 3 Tbsp
Cayenne pepper, pinch
Parsley, chopped, 1 tsp
Ovens on to 1900C.
1. Cut the pastry out to fit the flan ring. Mould the pastry in the base and around the sides.
2. Dock with a fork and bake blind (baking paper with rice in it) until lightly set (15 minutes in the oven). Remove from oven.
3. Fry the onion in a little oil until soft.
4. Whisk the eggs then add the cream, salt and cayenne pepper.
5. When the pastry is ready, add the ham, spinach/ mixed vege, onions and parsley.
6. Carefully pour the egg mix over the top.
7. Bake until golden and set (about 15 minutes).
8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Let cool down, then cut into slices and serve.