I have cooked the fruit, either in a pot on a low heat or in the microwave, before putting the crumble into the oven. This just speeds up the cooking process.
Having hot Apple crumble with custard is a simple dessert worth waiting for.
Apple Crumble and Custard
Wooden Chopping board
Pot and lid
Large Bowl for mixing
Small baking dish
Ingredients (per pair)
Apples, 2, peeled, cored and sliced
Lemon juice, 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp
Rolled oats, ½ cup
Flour, 1/4 cup
Coconut, 1/4 cup
Brown sugar, 3 Tbsp
Butter, 50g, melted
Cloves, 1/4 tsp
Oven on to 1800C
1. Peel, core and slice up the apples.
2. Mix with the lemon juice and cinnamon.
3. Place in pot with a little butter and heat on low until apples are soft.
4. Mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, oats, coconut, brown sugar and cloves).
5. Add the melted butter and mix with wooden spoon to make a breadcrumb texture.
6. Arrange the cooked apple on the base of the baking dish.
7. Pour the crumble mix on the top and smooth over.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown.
9. Serve with custard.
Custard powder, 2 Tbspn
Sugar, 2 tsp
Milk, 1 cup, heated in microwave
1. Mix the custard powder and sugar into a bowl, add ¼ cup milk and mix to a paste.
2. Add rest of the milk (3/4 cup) and mix well.
3. Pour into a pot and heat.
4. Stir constantly until custard boils and thickens up.
5. Take off the heat and pour around the apple crumble.