A Maori favourite. This is a hearty meat and vege soup with dumplings.
Large pot (per 4 students)
Chopping board and sharp knife
Bacon bones/pork bones/brisket bones
Crusty bread (french stick)
1. Bring a third of a pot of water to the boil.
2. Place 1 star anise in the water for 3 minutes and then remove.
3. Add the bacon bones and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes.
4. Peel the kumara/potato/carrots, cut into large chunks and add to the pot.
5. Bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes.
6. Wash and slice up the green vegetables, add to the pot.
7. Bring to the boil.
8. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Make the doughboys and add 10 minutes before serving.
10. Serve in a soup bowl with crusty bread.
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
A good pinch of salt/herbs
1 cup of milk
1. Sieve flour into a bowl.
2. Add the baking powder
3. Add the salt and herbs
4. Slowly add the milk and mix to make a dough.
5. Roll into golf ball size balls.
6. Place on top of the liquid in the pot and cook for 10 minutes.